Top Review by JenniferK2
I made these for a Thanksgiving dessert. The flavor was good, though I would probably put less orange zest next time. The real problem was that the frosting was soupy. I added a stick and a half of butter to firm it up and then chilled it before using and that helped quite a bit. But I had WAY more frosting than needed for the cupcakes. I know I added bulk with the butter, but there would have been way too much even without that. I would suggest using 2 pkgs of gingerbread mix for this amount of frosting. Will make again, just will need to adjust.
- 1 box prepared gingerbread mix, prepared to packaged directions
- 1 egg (for mix)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 orange, zest of (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- shaved crystallized ginger, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven 375 degrees F.
- Divide prepared cake mix into nonstick muffin tins or you may use muffin wrappers, sprayed with oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Batter will make 8 to 10 muffins depending on size of tin used.
- Beat cream cheese, pumpkin orange zest and vanilla with hand mixer at medium speed.
- Beat in sugar until frosting is fluffy.
- Frost Cupcakes and garnish as you please.