Recipe by jmc_margherita
This recipe was given to me by a friend on a visit to Cyprus. It is simple to make and I've been asked time and again for the recipe. I happily pass it on to other members of Recipe.zaar.
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ounces sieved icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 pint double cream or 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 3 -4 pieces stem ginger in syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks, then whisk in icing sugar, 1 tblsp at a time to form a stiff meringue.
- Stir in the egg yolks one at a time until the mixture is an even gold colour.
- In a separate bowl whisk the cream till it hangs on the whisk, then fold into the egg mixture and then add the finely chopped stem ginger.
- Put into a container, put he lid on and freeze until firm 4-6 hours Makes 1.5 ltrs.
- Note: Add a little liqueur or any other alcohol to the mixture before freezing will give a softer consistency, if desired, leave out if serving for children.
- For Vanilla Ice Cream: Instead of stem ginger, use 1 teaspoon of anilla essence or replace 1 oz of icing sugar with vanilla sugar.