Recipe by mielhollinger
Did you know that peanuts are not really nuts but are actually a type of bean? Peanuts are sprayed with an array of pesticides and herbicides, so try and use organic peanut butter in this recipe. It will taste better. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan".)
Top Review by yogi
Wonderful creamy soup with lots of good-for-you veggies! I did make a few substitutions, though. I had no cauliflower and used some chopped kale instead, and instead of PB I used macadamia nut butter (just what I had around.) The combo of ginger with the slight hint of nut butter was awesome. On the second day I added some mung bean sprouts and a little tamari. I can see this being very versatile as far as add ins. Ginger and garlic lovers - add a little extra, these two flavors really add a lot to this great soup!
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons natural-style peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, saute the broccoli, cauliflower, onions, ginger, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper in oil on medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, and peanut butter.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.