Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I am posting this recipe in response to a request. This is a South African liqueur that is easily made at home.
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups Scotch whisky
- You will also need: Coffee filters for straining.
- Bring honey and water to boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Add ginger root and lemon zest. Boil for an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand until just warm.
- Strain solids from liquid mixture into a medium bowl. Transfer solids to coffe filter and squeeze out any remaining liquid with your hands.
- Transfer liquid to a clean 1-quart container. Add Whisky, store in a cool, dark place for 1 month.
- After storing for one month take the liquid and pour the liquid through a coffee filter and into into final serving container.
- Age for 2 more weeks before serving.