Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
There are couple of recipes here by this name, but this one is different. This is best if made a day ahead, as the flavor works through the carrots.
- 2 lbs fresh carrots
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- Cook carrots in salted water, or you can steam them.
- Melt butter and add brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger and wine.
- Put carrots in a casserole dish and pour sauce over carrots.
- Refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Best if made a day ahead; flavor works through carrots.
- Bake at 300 degrees, covered, for 2 hours.
I used 1 1/2 pounds carrots. Cut back to 1/4 cup smart balance for the butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, Kept the wine and nutmeg the same. Skipped the salt! This is CANDY!!!! Everyone should enjoy this. I sure did. Thanks!