Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 hrs
Found on the internet and not tested.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 -4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream butter and sugar in large mixer bowl with electric mixer. Beat in egg until light. Stir in corn syrup, orange rind and water.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Stir into butter mixture to form a dough.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325ºF. Have lightly greased baking sheets ready. Roll out one piece of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface or between sheets of floured wax paper to 1/8 -inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place on baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, mix egg white and almond extract in small bowl until frothy. Stir in confectioners' sugar until mixture is a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until icing sets. Store covered.