Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is another great, do-ahead, type recipe that's so 'after-work friendly'. I throw this together in the morning, let it marinate all day and then toss it on the grill when I get home. Cook the rice while the chicken's on the grill and you have dinner in about 45 minutes. Prep time doesn't include marinating time since you have a choice of quick or longer marinating.
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses or 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 fryer chicken, quartered
- Combine vermouth, soy sauce, molasses or brown sugar, pepper and ginger.
- Place chicken in a food-grade plastic bag; add marinade, close bag and turn to coat chicken well; marinate at room temp for 30-45 minutes or in fridge 3-4 hours (I let it go all day, about 8-9 hours), turning bag now and then.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade.
- Grill over hot coals, turning as needed to cook evenly and prevent burning; baste with marinade occasionally but let it cook well after basting since raw chicken was in it.
- Grill for about 45 minutes then serve hot over steamed rice.
Fabulous marinade ! I tried this (using brown sugar instead of molasses) with two chicken breasts that I marinated nearly 12 hours, then grilled on the stovetop in a dry non-stick skillet. Requested by husband to repeat soon . . . Thanks for posting !