Recipe by *Parsley*
This stir fry is a little sweet and a little spicy. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Top Review by Midwest Maven
We loved this stir-fry. Delicious and full of yummy veggies. I might play with the amounts of the spices next time, but a great dish, thanks! Made this for ZWT4 for the Chic Chefs!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sirloin steaks or 1 1⁄4 lbs flank steaks, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or canola oil)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces (cut very thick stalks in half lengthwise as well)
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced carrot
- 1 lb baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄8 cup light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil on high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sheery wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger, 5 spice powder, pepper and brown sugar. Mix well until cornstarch and sugar is dissolved.
- Sprinkle beef strips with the salt.
- When skillet and oil are hot, add beef strips and garlic and stir-fry over high heat until beef has just a little pink remaining.
- Add asparagus, onions and carrots and continue to stir fry over high heat for about 2 minutes. Add sherry/soy sauce mixture to skillet. Add mushrooms to skillet and continue stir-frying for about 3-5 minutes or until your asparagus and carrots are desired crisp-tenderness.
- Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.