Prep 3 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Confident Cooking. Churning time not included.
- 1⁄3 cup whole blanched almond
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup very finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375F; place almonds in small shallow cake pan and roast for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown and aromatic; remove from oven; when almonds are cool, chop them roughly.
- Heat cream and milk in medium pan until almost boiling; remove from heat; beat or whisk egg yolks and sugar in large bowl until thick and pale; gradually add milk, beating constantly; return mixture to pan; stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens; do not boil; remove from heat; stir in ginger, place piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard and allow to cool.
- Once cool, freeze according to manufacturers instructions; when partly frozen, add nuts and mix through; finish churning.