This recipe came from my Grandmother. I've been making it for several years now. Usually at Christmas, I don't really know why...they would be good any time of year.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the sugar and eggs together until they are very thick.
- Stir in the lemon zest and melted butter.
- Sift the flour and baking powder; add to the egg mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Drop by tsp 1 1/2 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare glaze.
- Glaze while cookies are warm.
- Store in airtight container!
These were delicious cookies and definitely made five dozen. I really like the taste of the lemon in the cookies. I found that I need way more than 1 tsp of water for the glaze because 1 tsp just barely moistened and clumped it together. But eventually it became the type of glaze I wanted. I found that it really was necessary to grease my baking sheets because of how sticky the cookies were. I even greased my teaspoon! All in all, it was a very good cookie!
I only made 1/2 the recipe cause there are not alot of lemon lovers here, BUT they are gone so I will make a whole batch this week. I will also used the lemon juice in the glaze the next time. These are a great cookie and sure to be a Christmas hit here also! Thanx katie!!
These were suprisingly yummy and easy to make. I will definately make them again.