Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
The seabream, marinated with pepper and chili and broiled or grilled with scallions and ginger and and asiatic dipping sauce. The balance between sweet and sour notes makes this dish. Don't overspice it with too much chili. Let the flavours of the fish take control and you will love it. I use Gilthead Seabream, but you can use any other whitefleshed fish like snapper or other seabreams varities. I would suggest to use smaller whole fish. If you use fillets reduce broiling time. But use always fresh fish for this dish to get the full flavours.
- 680.38 g sea bream (gut and scales removed)
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger (about 1 inch long)
- 29.58 ml sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 scallions
- 1 piece red chili pepper (1 inch long)
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml peppercorn
- 2.46 ml red chili pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 7.39 ml fish sauce
- 0.25 ml salt
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 14.79 ml fish sauce
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml red chili pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- Make dipping sauce first. Mix all ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven for broiling (480 F, 250 C).
- For the marinade crush pepper corns in mortar and add chili pepper, salt and fish sauce. Crush and mash until well combined.
- Clean fish and pat dry. With a sharp knife cut 2 or 3 into the flesh slightly on the thickest part.
- Smear the marinade onto the fish on both sides and into the cavity. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut scallions first into 1 inch long pieces and then into very fine stripes. Do the same with ginger and chili pepper. Cut garlic into very fine slices.
- Oil a grilling pan with sunflower oil and put fish on it. Put fish into the oven and broil for about 8 minutes on each side.
- Watch carefully and brush from time to time with oil. For broiling you should need about 1 tablespoon of oil.
- While fish is broiling heat the remaining tablespoon oil in samll pan over medium hight heat. Add scallions and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, red chili pepper and sugra and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Take fish out of the oven and serve with scallions and ginger on top of it. Serve the dipping sauce in a seperate small bowl.
Perfect combination of flavours, will definatly use this again and again . Thanks for posting