1/4 Photos of Gilroy, California, Garlic Bread
Gilroy, California, is the garlic capital of the universe—the only place where you can hang a steak outside on a clothesline to marinate in the garlic fumes from nearby fields and processing plants. This bread is loaded with garlic flavor, has a wonderful consistency, and is guaranteed to keep vampires away. Time includes rising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup cottage cheese, warmed (preferably small curd)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic or 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1Soften the yeast in the water in a large bowl.
- 2Add the cottage cheese, garlic, egg, oil, oregano, sugar, salt, and baking soda and stir well.
- 3Add the flour to the mixture, blend well, and put in a warm place to rise, loosely covered, until doubled in size.
- 4Stir the dough down and turn out into a well-greased, 2-quart casserole dish. Let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F
- 5Bake the bread for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned, then let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
- 6Note: If you wish, you can add some chopped fresh parsley, savory, or basil (1/2 teaspoon each) for a tasty garlic-herb bread.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gilroy, California, Garlic Bread
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.9 mg
- Sodium 247.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 11.2 g