Gilroy, California, is the garlic capital of the universe—the only place where you can hang a steak outside on a clothesline to marinate in the garlic fumes from nearby fields and processing plants. This bread is loaded with garlic flavor, has a wonderful consistency, and is guaranteed to keep vampires away. Time includes rising.
- 1 (2 1/2 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 cup cottage cheese, warmed (preferably small curd)
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic or 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Soften the yeast in the water in a large bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese, garlic, egg, oil, oregano, sugar, salt, and baking soda and stir well.
- Add the flour to the mixture, blend well, and put in a warm place to rise, loosely covered, until doubled in size.
- Stir the dough down and turn out into a well-greased, 2-quart casserole dish. Let rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Bake the bread for 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned, then let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
- Note: If you wish, you can add some chopped fresh parsley, savory, or basil (1/2 teaspoon each) for a tasty garlic-herb bread.
Wonderful bread! This was so easy to bake It'd be a good recipe for someone new to bread making. I baked this in a square ceramic casserole. Made for Veggie Swap 62.
This is fabulous bread! I baked mine in a 9 x 5 loaf pan. I'll definitely be making this again. Thank you!
This Is the first yeast bread I have ever made, and It was amazing! My boyfriend and I ate the whole thing In like an hour!! It really Is a pretty easy recipe. I found after the first rise of the bread, I just hit the bowl a few times, then used my wooden spoon to slowly In circle motion, take It out of the bowl and put In the pan. spread It evenly, and let It rise again. mine didnt rise anymore once In the oven. It was delicious!!!