America's Test Kitchen Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Ready In:
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced in half horizontally (18- to 20-inch)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese (shredded Italian blend)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Move rack to the 2nd from bottom space.
- Saute garlic, 1 tablespoon butter, and water over low heat, 7 to 10 minutes. It forms a paste.
- Combine hot garlic, 7 tablespoons butter, salt, and pepper in a bowl and spread on both halves of the bread. Put the halves back together and wrap in foil. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap bread and place halves, buttered sides up, on baking sheet. Bake until it begins to color, about 10 minutes. Take out of oven and turn on the broiler.
- Sprinkle bread with cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese has melted and bread is crispy, about 1 or 2 minutes. Put on cutting board, cheesy side down. Cut into pieces. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Although I followed your recipe right on down, I did use large cloves of garlic ~ love that stuff, & the bread turned out absolutely delicious, with 4 of us managing to devour it all before leaving the table! This is certainly a very nice keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]