You can use this recipe for chicken or turkey stock for soup or gravy. I like the extra wing added to my stock. But it's not necessary.Cook time between 1 1/2 -2 hours. If cooked down less then 3 cups add water.I like to leave the skin on the onion it gives it a darker richer color.
- 1 turkey giblets or 1 chicken giblets, neck and liver
- 1 turkey wings
- 1 ham bone
- 1 beef shank
- 6 cups water
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, quartered with skin gives it a richer color
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 fresh sage leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- In a large saucepan, combine the wing, neck and giblets (excluding the liver), 6 cups water, celery, carrot, onion, sage,garlic, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and continue to cook at a simmer, skimming the froth occasionally for 1 hour.
- Add liver and continue to cook at a bare simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- There should be about 3 cups of stock.
- Reserve the turkey wing, liver, neck and remaining giblets.
- Chop the giblets finely and shred the meat from the wing for the gravy or soup.