Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This is a good recipe for those less expensive cuts of beef. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 lbs beef, sliced 1-inch thick
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice (or to taste)
- Cut beef into individual servings, trimming off excess fat.
- Render the fat over medium heat in a large skillet; brown the meat in it.
- Remove meat to casserole dish; fry onions in remaining fat.
- Arrange onions over meat.
- Blend flour with fat in pan and add water, stirring until thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper and allspice.
- Pour gravy over meat, cover and bake for 90 minutes to two hours in a moderate overn (350F).
- Serve with boiled potatoes.
Lekker good!!!!! A keeper!!!!