Posted in reply to a recipe request. This recipe is from the cookbook "Cooking into Europe (choice common market dishes)," Dishes of West Germany section. (C1973) This cake is a sponge cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Oil two 9 1/2 - 10 inch sponge tins, line the base with greaseproof paper and dust with flour.
- 2Sift together the flour, cornflour, and baking powder two or three times.
- 3Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk for 1 - 2 minutes either using electric beaters or a rotary whisk.
- 4Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- 5Add the sugar and whisk over the heat until the mixture is creamy.
- 6Remove from heat and whisk until mixture is cool and the beaters leave a trail when lifted above the mixture.
- 7Gently fold in the flour a little at a time finally adding the grated lemon rind.
- 8Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake in a fairly hot oven (GM 5, 375°F, 190°C) for about 25 minutes.
- 9Remove the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- 10Spoon the jam and water into a small saucepan, bring to the boil and bubble to a thick glaze.
- 11Brush one surface of the sponge with the glaze and sandwich the layers together.
- 12Brush the sides with more jam and press the nuts into the sides with a small palette knife.
- 13Lift the cake onto a flat serving plate.
- 14Arrange the strawberries on top halving them if large, brush with remaining glaze and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Strawberry Cake (Erdbeer Torte)
Serving Size: 1 (1435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2949.4
- Calories from Fat 541
- Total Fat 60.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 930.0 mg
- Sodium 653.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 548.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.9 g
- Sugars 329.5 g
- Protein 66.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of