German Chocolate Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting
This cake is not for people watching their calories or fat!! But, boy is it good. The recipe came from the Kraft website, and from a recipe I found on the side of a bar of baking chocolate. I made this cake for my parent's birthdays and it was a big hit. Extremely rich, moist and decadent. For the birthdays, I splurged, and used 4 oz. of imported European dark chocolate that I got at Whole Foods, but the regular Bakers chocolate works wonderful as well. I, personally, am not a huge fan of coconut, but the people I made the cake for are. I used "light coconut" which has less fat and looks more finely shredded than regular shredded coconut. I also only used just about 2 cups instead of the full amount the recipe called for. Hope you enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 (4 ounce) package sweet dark chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (7 ounce) package shredded coconut (about 2-2/3 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- Grease and flour the bottoms of 3 (9") round cake pans, and line with wax paper.
- Melt the chocolate and water in bowl over simmering water. (I don't have a double boiler!).
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into your batter.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean).
- Immediately run spatula between cakes and sides of pans.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove from pans.
- Remove wax paper and cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:
- Place milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and vanilla in large saucepan.
- Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat 12 minutes or until thickened and golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Cool to room temperature and of spreading consistency.
- Spread the coconut-pecan between each of the layers, and then over top and sides of whole cake.