Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
adapted from German Home Cooking by Dr. August Oetke
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small celery root, peeled and finely chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 10 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb split peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large smoked ham hocks, about 2 lbs
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place oil and bacon in a 6-qt. pot and cook over medium-high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel with a slotted spoon; set aside. Add onions, celery, carrots, and celery root, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour; cook for 3 minutes.
- Tie parsley, thyme, and bay leaves together with kitchen twine; add to pot with peas, ham hocks, and 7 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until peas are very tender, about 1 hour. Remove from heat. Discard herbs. Transfer hocks to a plate to let cool; pull off and chop the meat; discard fat, skin, and bones. Stir meat into soup, season with salt and pepper, and ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon.
Wonderful split pea soup! We liked everything about this soup. I made it as directed and found it easy to make with a great taste, texture and appearance. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6.