Who said they didn't like sauerkraut? C'mere! I got something for ya'! (I'll make you a believer yet!) The dipping sauce I used in the pic is honey mustard, but you could use whatever you like.
- Place potatoes in a medium sized saucepan and cover with water; salt lightly.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until fork-tender; drain.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and mash; then allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir onions, drained sauerkraut, egg, salt, pepper, caraway, flour, and breadcrumbs into potatoes, forming a thick mixture.
- Pour some flour in a small bowl; do likewise to some bread crumbs.
- Beat 2 eggs in a small bowl also, set aside (Add more egg later if necessary).
- Heat deep fryer or oil (several inches deep in a frying skillet) to a temperature of 350 degrees.
- Take heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture and roll in flour.
- Then coat with egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- Do the same with several others.
- Fry balls (which should be the size of large meatballs) in small batches for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper toweling, and serve hot.
- Makes 25 extra-large balls, or enough to serve about 6 people.