- 5 slices bacon, thick-sliced, lean
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 quarts sauerkraut, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon sugar substitute
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 juniper berries or 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup potato, peeled, grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all of the ingredients in a heavy kettle. Cover and simmer
- gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Fresh sauerkraut should be bought in a glass jar or in plastic in the deli section of the market. Canned sauerkraut tastes like the can.
- If cholesterol is a problem - leave the bacon out.
- If diabetic - you can also leave the potatoes out since that would
- add a starch to the dish. It's good without the bacon and the potatoes.