Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Enjoy the rich dark taste of rye bread with this recipe for a traditional German loaf. Time does not include resting / rising.
- Place 8oz of the rye flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add around 3/4 cup of tepid water and mix it thoroughly to make a thick batter
- Set the dough aside to rest for around 2 hours, until the batter has risen and then fallen.
- Add the remaining flour, remaining tepid water, salt, malt extract, butter and caraway seeds and mix together making a pliable dough.
- Dust the inside of a rye loaf basket with flour. Shape the dough into a loaf and place in the basket. Set aside to rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Place the risen loaf on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Dust lightly with rye flour and bake for 30 minutes.