1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is my M-I-L's recipe for "German Meatloaf". She is Polish, so I'm not sure exactly how "German" it is, LOL. Posted in reply to a message board request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, dried parsley is ok
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, which are soaked in
- beef bouillon (liquid Bovril, Magi,etc.,1/2 bouillon cube and 1/4 cup water OR 1/2 teaspoon Bovril and 1/4 cup wate)
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 pinch nutmeg (1/8 teaspoon or less)
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 1In a bowl, combine the meat, scallions, parsley, salt and pepper, crumbs, rosemary, nutmeg, and eggs.
- 2Mix well.
- 3Shape into a loaf.
- 4Place half the raw bacon strips across bottom.
- 5DO NOT push bacon into the meatloaf; only"place" it on top or bottom.
- 6Place loaf in roasting pan.
- 7Top with rest of bacon strips.
- 8Bake uncovered 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 350°F.
- 9If bacon isn't crisp enough on top, return to oven at 450°F for another 5-10 minutes or so.
- 10Then remove from oven and drain juices into heavy glass bowl.
- 11Strain grease off the drippings, and save it.
- 12Prepare gravy (Optional).
- 13Gravy: Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a small pot, and add 4 Tablespoons flour.
- 14Stir well to a medium colored roux.
- 15Quickly,add the drippings (reserved juices), and enough water"to make 3 cups"; a little at a time.
- 16Add a little sherry wine, some Bovril (beef cube) flavoring, salt, pepper, and milk.
- 17Simmer and whisk often while thickening.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for German Meatloaf (2)
Serving Size: 1 (1839 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2974.1
- Calories from Fat 1959
- Total Fat 217.7 g
- Saturated Fat 92.0 g
- Cholesterol 1041.4 mg
- Sodium 5633.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 193.4 g