Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
Make and share this German Hazelnut Torte Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 3 -5 tablespoons lemon juice
- nuts, and or whipped cream, to decorate
- •Preheat oven to 375°F.
- •Grease 8-inch springform pan. (If not available, use 2 8-inch cake pans and grease and flour them.).
- •Beat egg yolks and sugar in large mixer bowl until pale and creamy.
- •Fold in hazelnuts, flour, and almond flavoring.
- •Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into egg yolk mixture.
- •Spread batter gently in prepared pan(s).
- •Bake springform pan about 40 minutes, (bake 2 8-inch cake pans about 20 minutes), or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool thoroughly, even overnight, on rack.
- •Blend cornstarch, sugar, a little milk and egg yolks. Bring remaining milk to boil. Stir hot milk and vanilla into cornstarch mixture.
- •Return to heat and bring back to boil. Cook a few seconds, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- •Cool, stirring frequently.
- To Assemble Cake:.
- •If springform was used, cut cake into 2 layers. (If used 8-inch cake pans, use both layers.).
- •Spread 1 layer with filling.
- •Top with second layer.
- •Knead almond paste to soften. On a surface sprinkled with icing sugar, roll out almond paste to a round large enough to cover top and sides of cake (about 14-inch diameter).
- •Press onto cake.
- •Blend icing sugar with enough lemon juice to give a coating consistency.
- •Spread over cake and decorate as desired.