German Prinzregenten Torte ( Eight Layer Cake )
photo by byrd0223
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 -14 ounces semisweet chocolate
- whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
- Cut 8 (8-inch) rounds from wax or parchment paper, grease, and place on greased baking sheets.
- TO MAKE THE CAKE: Cream together the 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Sift together twice the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and spread thinly into circles, as evenly as possible, on the wax paper rounds, to within 1 1/2 inches of the edges.
- Bake at 375ºF for about 7 minutes or until just lightly tinted.
- Carefully remove each batch as it is done and spread out on a board to cool while the rest are cooking.
- When all are cold, join together with the filling.
- Chill well and cover with the chocolate which has been melted over hot water.
- Decorate with rosettes of whipped cream and flaked chocolate.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Put the cocoa, cornstarch, and sugar into a mixing bowl and blend to a paste with some of the milk.
- Bring the remaining milk to the boiling point, add the cornstarch mixture, and stir over moderate heat until thickened.
- Put aside until lukewarm.
- Have the BUTTERS softened, mix them together, and beat until creamy.
- Gradually whip into the cornstarch cream.
- Allow to cool before using.
- Cooking for Family and Friends.
This recipe seemed simple enough and the sponge part of the cake was (haven't tasted it yet though) but the filler was the worst I've ever done!! First of all, NO instructions, far too much milk, ingredient amounts are WAY off! The filling turned out more like soup...not even a stew...when it should have been rich and creamy. Also, the chocolate glaze had NO instructions either. I wound up using the cake part of this recipe only and have used a different filler and a different glaze. I don't mean to be cruel but this was the worst recipe I've ever tried. I'm Bavarian and I can honestly say that is NOT a true Prinzeregententorte. VERY disappointed.