Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom taught me to make the icing from scratch for my favorite cake in the whole world. I've also been known to make some just to satisfy my sweet tooth.
- 1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Combine first four ingredients and a dash of salt.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles, about 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly; add remaining ingredients.
- Frosts two 8-inch layers or one 9x13-inch cake.
Oh, this is amazing! The challenge is going to be leaving it alone while it cools. Hopefully, I'll have enough to spread on the cake... LOL! The only "change" I made was to leave out the nuts completely, as I can't eat them. Thanks for posting!
This stuff is amazing!!! It was so easy to make and taste delicious!! Waiting for the cake to cool I have already had two tablespoons full. I can't wait to put this on the cake... my husband it going to love it.
Delicious and easy to make! I made this for my dad's birthday and it was a big hit. I doubled the recipe to fill a three layer cake and cover the top with frosting to spare. It was just the right consistency, I wouldn't change a thing!