From Cooking Light (September 2000). Topping the glaze with a bit of extra coconut and nuts dresses it up a bit.
Streusel / Filling
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce sweet baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 teaspoons nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Set aside.
- STREUSEL: Combine 1/4 cup flour and brown sugar in a small bowl; cut in 2 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- CAKE: Combine cocoa and baking chocolate in a small bowl; add boiling water, stirring until chocolate melts. Set aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar and 1/3 cup butter at medium speed until well-blended, or about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in cocoa mixture.
- Spoon half of batter into prepared pan; top with streusel.
- Spoon remaining batter over streusel.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.
- GLAZE: Combine powdered sugar and butter in a small bowl. Add milk; stir with a whisk. Drizzle over cake.