Recipe by Chrystabel
A beautiful, easy, and delicious German tart that is not too sweet. Creme Fraiche adds a decadent and important note (no substitutions!). A recipe I often make for entertaining. Be careful to use a light hand while cutting the apple quarters so the knife does not cut all the way through the apple.
Top Review by lightstar
Needed a German dessert and had a ton of apples. So trying this out to take to a German wine tasting supper. There must be an error on this recipe. In the dough part it calls for 2/3 cup of flour, then 3 T of flour. Tried that. Not enough "wet" there to come together. When I added 3 T of WATER instead the dough came to a smooth ball. Could not find crème fraiche anywhere here, so despite the instruction I used plain Greek yogurt.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon calvados or 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 4 apples
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, squeezed
- 2 tablespoons calvados or 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 5 -6 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds (optional) or 2 tablespoons nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the ingredients for the dough until its smooth. Wrap in foil and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Peel, core, and cut the apples into quarters. With a sharp knife cut each quarter apple in its round side several times lengthwise. Don't cut the apple all the way through. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar, lemon juice and Calvados or apple cider. Pour over the apples and let them marinate for 1 hour.
- Roll 2/3-3/4 of the dough out into a 9 inch round. Set into a 9 inch springform pan. Use the rest of the dough to create a small edge along the inner walls of the form. Using a fork punch tiny holes into the bottom of the unbaked crust. Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes. Place the apples in a sieve or colander. Make sure to catch the escaping juice in a small bowl. Combine this juice with the Creme Fraiche and stir until smooth and consistent.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the baked crust. Arrange the partially sliced apple quarters on the crust round side facing upwards. Pour the Creme Fraiche mixture over the apples. Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with chopped almonds or nuts if desired. Serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream,sweet Creme Fraiche, or plain.
- Variations: substitute fresh peaches or pears. Instead of calvados or apple cider use peach or pear schnapps.