Recipe by ElleFirebrand
Ripe summer tomatoes, cucumber, sweet bell pepper and onion combine for a chilled, refreshing soup. A garnish of salty Serrano ham takes you straight to Spain. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup crusty bread, soaked in water
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 ounce serrano ham, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Cut a X in the bottom of the tomatoes and plunge into boiling water for about 10 seconds. Remove to a bowl of cold water. Peel and cut tomatoes and put in blender or food processor.
- Fill a small bowl with water and add bread. Set aside.
- Peel and chop cucumber. Add to blender/food processor.
- Squeeze out excess water from bread and add to blender/food processor along with chopped garlic, peppers, olive oil, onion, vinegar and salt to taste.
- Process until desired texture.
- Add additional soaked bread to thicken and process. If you prefer a thinner texture, add water and process again.
- Chill for at least an hour to blend flavors.
- When ready to serve, place a small saucepan over medium heat. In a small amount of olive oil, cook Serrano ham until crispy.
- Serve chilled gazpacho garnished with crispy Serrano ham and chopped parsley.