Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you enjoy Gazpacho, try this new twist on an old favorite. Perfect for summer entertaining, this no-bake savory cheesecake can be served sliced as an appetizer, or in wedges for a light lunch, accompanied by a green leafy salad, crusty French bread and a crisp, chilled white wine. To allow the flavors to develop, it is best prepared a day ahead. Preparation time does not include chilling time. This is an adaptation of an Australian Women's Weekly recipe.
For Cracker Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed savory crackers (eg Ritz crackers)
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
For Vinaigrette Dressing
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon French mustard
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (just a dash of each)
- 4 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups canned tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red chili powder
- 1 medium red bell peppers or 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced,for garnish
- For the crust, combine the crushed crackers with melted butter in a bowl, and then press mixture firmly over the base of a buttered, 10-inch springform pan.
- Hint- I sometimes line the base of the pan with baking paper, to make for easier removal of the prepared cheesecake.
- Place crust in refrigerator until needed.
- Combine the ingredients for vinaigrette dressing in a small jar, cover with lid, shake well, then set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatine over boiling water and whisk with a fork to dissolve, then allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually beat in tomato juice, vinaigrette dressing (shaken briefly in the jar before adding), chile powder, and lastly, the gelatine mixture.
- Stir in the bell pepper, celery, spring onions and basil.
- Taste for seasoning and add a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper and a pinch of salt, if desired.
- Pour filling over base and refrigerate several hours until set, preferably overnight.
- Garnish with sliced cucumber before serving.
I served this recipe up to 8 people of diverse backgrounds and they all thought it was fabulous. So it is obvious it is a recipe that suits all tastes. All said to do it again.