Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A beautiful, striped gelatin salad.
Make and share this Gazpacho Aspic recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, with leaves (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, plus
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2.5 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- spring greens
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the tomato juice, green onions, cucumber, celery, all but 1 tablespoon of both the red and green bell peppers, 1/2 cup of the red onion, half of the chopped jalapenos, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic, 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, and the hot sauce and stir to combine well.
- In a small bowl, pour 3/4 cup of the remaining tomato juice over the gelatin to soften.
- Stir well and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Heat remaining tomato juice to boiling in a small saucepan.
- Pour over softened gelatin mixture and stir until completely melted.
- Pour melted gelatin mixture into gazpacho mixture, mix completely.
- Spray six 1-cup molds with cooking spray or grease with a little bit of vegetable oil.
- Divide half of the gazpacho mixture evenly between the molds and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Set remaining half of gazpacho aside while the molds are chilling.
- Whirl the remaining tablespoons of red and green bell peppers, 2 tablespoons of red onion, jalapeno pepper, 3 tablespoons of cilantro, 1/2 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and cream cheese in your food processor and process until smooth.
- When aspics have jelled, top each evenly with cream cheese mixture, then pour remaining gazpacho mixture over the tops; refrigerate until thoroughly set, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, briefly dip molds into hot water or run a knife around the edge of the molded gelatin.
- Place one spring greens on each and turn aspics out onto greens.
- May be garnished with sliced, hardboiled eggs, cooked shrimp, or fresh herbs (if desired).
Lovely salad for a hot day. I made it with spicy V-8 so used less cayenne but otherwise the same. Next time I will use less cream cheese but was great served with shrimp and crackers.