4 hrs 30 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
My mother is from Spain and I lived many years in Andalucia, the southernmost province of Spain... THIS is the real deal. I was amazed when I saw Anne Burrell of the Food Network making this very simple cold soup CORRECTLY with bread! I am saving here for future reference, although I have my own detailed recipe saved on this site as well. "Cooking" time is chilling time - this soup is not cooked.
My Private Note
bowls o ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed, bread broken into big chunks
- 2 lbs tomatoes, seeded
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 1 large white onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and pith removed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- kosher salt
- high quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cup tomato juice, if needed
- 1Soak the bread, in a medium bowl of water to soften, about 15 to 20 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and place in a large bowl. Coarsely chop the tomatoes, 2/3 of the cucumber, 1/2 the onion, and 1/2 the pepper and add to the bread. Add the garlic, season with salt, and drizzle with olive oil. Mix to combine and let sit for about 20 to 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and to let the salt pull some moisture out of the tomatoes.
- 2Meanwhile, for the garnish, dice the remaining cucumber, onion and green pepper into perfect 1/4-inch dice and reserve.
- 3Working in batches, puree the tomato/bread mixture in a blender with the vinegar. Blend in tomato juice to loosen the mixture, if needed. Remove soup to a large bowl and stir in about 1/2 cup of high quality olive oil. Taste for salt and add more, if needed.
- 4Chill for at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold garnished with the diced cucumber, pepper and onion. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, if desired. I also serve with plain toasted croutons of bread for texture.
- 5It's an amazingly refreshing soup!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gazpacho (Anne Burrell)
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 209.0
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 355.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: