Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These crispy eggplant slices are pan-fried and topped with garden fresh tomato. From Land-O-Lakes Cookbook.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 14.79 ml basil leaves
- 78.07 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml fresh garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 236.59 ml fresh tomato, chopped
- Place eggeplant slices on a 15x10x1 " jelly roll pan, sprinkle with salt.
- in a 9' pie pan, stir together flour, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and basil.
- in 10' skittle cook olive oil, pepper and garlic over med heat until sizzling.
- meanwhile, dip eggplant slices in egg, coat with flour mixture. fry 1/2 of eggeplant slice in olive oil until golden brown 2-3 minutes on each side. remove to serving platter, keep warm.
- repeat with remaining eggplant slices.
- remover to serving platter. sprinkle with tomato. cover with aluminum foil. let stand 2 minutes or until tomato is heated through.
I was interested in trying this recipe because I'd never had fried eggplant before and it was enjoyed by all. We especially liked the crispy-cheesy crust with the softened eggplant inside. I changed two things about the preparation: I sauteed the garlic first and then set it aside. I was afraid that if I left it in the pan for the time it would take to fry all the batches, the garlic would become too brown and bitter-tasting. As each batch was done, I spinkled a little of the sauteed garlic over each piece. I also wiped out the pan between batches since little bits of the batter got in with the oil. I've found before that when a little batter gets mixed in with oil, the oil will darken and give an unpleasant color to whatever is being fried. That said, this was a wonderfully delicious side dish that DH has requested I make again. Thanks for posting!