Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
At 9:30pm I decided that I wanted to eat mushrooms for dinner tonight. At 10:40pm, my parents and me were enjoying this wonderful meal to our heart's content. Mom and dad made my day when mom said she simply LOVED the colour of this dish and dad said he was proud of his girl. I'm just thinking- When I entered my kitchen all I had in mind was to cook mushrooms in a tomato base, but
- 8 ounces mushrooms, boiled
- 2 1⁄2 cups green peas, boiled
- 6 fresh baby corn, chopped and boiled
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 big tomatoes, made into paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 apricots
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam (or your favourite jam)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, juice of
- Boil all the vegetables in 4 cups of water.
- Side-by-side, while the vegetables are kept to boil, heat oil in a large skillet.
- To the oil, add cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves.
- Fry on low flame till the bay leaves are crisp.
- Once the vegetables come to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Now come back to the skillet.
- To the oil, add onions and garlic and fry till the onions turn golden-brown and the raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add the corriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Mix well.
- Add the tomato paste and 1/4 cup of water.
- Next, toss in the vegetables (drain out the water before adding).
- Squeeze lemon juice over the vegetables.
- Add the apricots and jam.
- Mix everything well.
- Cook on low flame for 20-25 minutes till vegetables are done.
- Serve hot with rotis, white bread, kulcha or naan.
Tried cooking this on my days off. First on Tuesday, then had to try again on Wednesday, and obviously needed more so again Thursday. Its soooo good. Very easy to cook. Very tasty. Perhaps a little too spicy for my tastes (too spicy and I react embarrasingly), so I just cut down a little on the spices. Great stuff - I'll be cooking it again when I have guests.