1 hr 20 mins
garlic mashed potatoes are my ultimate comfort food. this is a great recipe that is really from Williams Sonoma. (just so you know, as in all of my recipes i never time my prep time. this is definately an estimate- and know that when preparing a recipe for the first time it generally takes longer than when you've done it once of twice already. thats how it is for me anyway)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon thyme
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled or unpeeled,cut into 2 inch chunks (about 1 1/2 lb. total)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- freshly ground white pepper or black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives (optional)
- 1Preheat an oven to 325°F.
- 2Place the garlic cloves in a small baking dish.
- 3Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the rosemary.
- 4Cover with aluminum foil and bake until very soft, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 5Remove from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic from the skins into a small bowl.
- 6Mash with a fork.
- 7Strain the oil through a fine-mesh sieve held over the garlic and mix well.
- 8Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch.
- 9Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- 10Just before the potatoes are ready, in a small saucepan over low heat, combine the butter and milk and heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot.
- 11Drain the potatoes, transfer to a warmed bowl, and mash well with a fork or potato masher.
- 12Alternatively, push them through a ricer or food mill placed over a warmed bowl.
- 13Add the butter mixture to the potatoes and stir until smooth.
- 14Mix in the garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- 15Stir in the chives and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for garlic mashed potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 277.0
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 21.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.3 g