Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Garlic adds a lot of flavor to this dish. The long cooking mellows the garlic out and adds a lot of flavor to the chicken and vegetables. This recipe can be made ahead of time and baked later. I often add additional seasonings like black pepper, onions, etc. depending on my mood.
- 1 head garlic, about 10 cloves
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large carrots, peeled
- 8 small potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and mince garlic. Chop carrots into 2 inch pieces. Place garlic in a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. In batches, brown chicken pieces on all sides in olive oil over medium-high heat. Remove pieces as they are browned.
- Place browned chicken on top of garlic in baking dish.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and lemon to dish. Sprinkle all with salt, thyme, and rosemary. Pour in wine or broth.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and baste with pan drippings.
- Then cook, uncovered for 30-45 minutes more of until chicken tests done and the vegetables are somewhat browned.
- Discard lemon. Place chicken on serving platter.
- Separate fat from drippings. Serve remaining drippings with chicken and vegetables.