Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to create a great vegetable soup that I could make at home. I love Panera Bread's 'Garden Vegetable', so I decided to use that as inspiration for my own recipe and it turned out even better!
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup small semolina pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen sweet whole kernel corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups crinkle cut frozen carrots
- 5 stalks celery hearts, chopped
- 1 sliced red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- Combine vegetable stock, tomato puree, and water in a large pot and stir together. leave stove hot enough for mixture to bubble a little.
- Once tomato mixture has had a chance to heat, add pasta and can of diced tomatoes (along with the juice in the can). add olive oil and garlic salt.
- Cook frozen corn and carrots in a separate pot; add to mixture when cooked.
- After all vegetables have been chopped/sliced, add to mixture.
- Let soup cook on stove for about 15-20 minutes, until all vegetables have softened and absorbed the mixture. enjoy!
Delicious, nutritious, easy to make, and comforting. What more could you ask from soup? For a slight variation, I use diced fresh carrots instead of frozen, and about 1 cup of barley instead of semolina. I also through in any kind of fresh or frozen vegetables that I have around. Peas and green beans work well. Best served in generous portions, in your favorite mug, with crusty bread, a chunky sweater, and warm slippers.
I modified this soup to include a few more ingredients found in Panera's recipe and it's fantastic. First, I eliminated the pasta and corn since we were on a diet. I then added a small zucchini, a small yellow squash, about 1-1.5 cups finely chopped Swiss chard, and a can of yellow wax beans--these are all items found in the Panera recipe. There also is cauliflower in their recipe but I didn't have room in the pot! This cooks up deliciously and feeds for days. Hope you like it!!
Excellent recipe. I just put everything in the pot and cooked it for 30 mins. Thanks!