I love this salsa! The taste is all your choice; add more or less of spices, salt, and vegetables! I use pint size mason jars and water bathe the jars, so that I get fresh salsa through out the year!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts tomatoes, chopped (about 14-15lbs of tomatoes, depending on size. Yes, this is a lot of tomatoes, but it will make abou)
- 9 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 teaspoons pickling salt (more of less for taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (more of less for taste)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (optional, more of less for taste)
- chili pepper (more of less for taste)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, snipped (more of less for taste)
- 1/3 cup jalapeno
- 3 large onions, once red, yellow, and white
- 1Prepare tomatoes. Boil in hot water 1-2 minutes, then dump into a cold water bath. Peel skins and chop up all tomatoes into bite size pieces. The liquid will cook down and so will the size of the pieces.
- 2Start cooking tomatoes(not in stainless steel pot) let it come to a rolling boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- 3With a measuring cup, take out any excess liquid from the tomatoes. I usually take out the liquid 4-5 times before starting to add any vegetables. I let it simmer for over an hour, so I can let all the juices cook out.
- 4Once you have the consistency you want, add the vegetables. Start with diced garlic, cumin, salt, lime juice, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Let these seasonings cook in and try a few taste test to alter if needed.
- 5Next, add cilantro, jalapenos, and 3 onions. Let the mixture cook for as long as you'd like. I usually let it sit and simmer again for another hour to let the jalapenos cook inches.
- 6Prepare your water-bath. Let it come to a rolling boil. Wash out and rinse your jars. Then set them into the water-bath for 10 minutes, for sterilization!
- 7Once jars are sterile, fill them with salsa, leaving 1/2in head space. Wipe rims, add lids and rings.
- 8Place jars back into water bath and set timer for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Fresh Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 82.1
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 889.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 3.4 g