Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great Lenten casserole. Got this from a little gal in New Hampshire. Prep time and cook time are guesses
- 2 lbs eggplants, peeled
- 5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, slice 1/2 inch thick
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Cut eggplant into 1/2" thick slices; sprinkle both sides with 3 teaspoons
- Place in a deep dish; cover and let stand for 30 minute Rinse with cold water; drain and dry on paper towels.
- Cut eggplant in 1/2" cubes; saute in oil til lightly browned.
- Add onions, garlic and zucchini; cook 3 minute Add tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, pepper and remaining salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minute Remove from heat; stir in Romano cheese.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake 5 minutes longer.