Recipe by MelinOhio
I love funnel cakes plain with powdered sugar. I like them topped with fresh strawberries too! I got this from Southern Living magazine years and years ago.
Top Review by charmclaughlin
I just made this recipe and to me it didn't compare to the fair at all. It tasted more like fried pancakes than the funnel cakes of the fair. It is a great go to recipe for a quick dessert though, especially for homes with children.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl, beating until smooth.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil to 375°F in a skillet.
- Cover bottom opening of a funnel with finger.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into funnel.
- Hold funnel over skillet.
- Remove finger from funnel end to release into hot oil; move in a slow, circular motion to form a spiral.
- Fry each funnel cake 1 minute or until edges are golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining batter,
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.