Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This cake is rich and delicious, and can also be baked either in a 10-inch angel food or tube pan, you can add in chopped red or green maraschino cherries in place of the dates if desired! Be patient for this cake, it takes about an hour and 40 minutes (more or less) to bake. It can be made up to 2 days ahead and wrapped tight in plastic, I drizzle brandy over the top and wrap tightly, or frost with a thick layer of white almond frosting just on the top of the cake and then sprinkle with nuts. This is a really great fruitcake!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (slightly heaping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 2 cups sugar (can use half white and light brown sugar)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (no subs!)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest or 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Set oven to 325 degree.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch angel food or tube pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in chopped dates, pecans, walnuts and both raisins; toss to coat with flour mixture.
- In another bowl beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add in eggs and beat well until combined.
- Add in vanilla and lemon zest or lemon extract (if using); mix to combine.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour, fruit and nut mixture) and fold in JUST until combined (the batter will be the texture of cookie dough).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until cake is golden and a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10-15 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut around the edges of the cake to loosen.
- Turn the cake onto a rack and cool completely.