This recipe is very good. Serve it with chips, on top of fish, or just as a side dish. The heat balances the sweet tartness and the grilling brings out the complexity of the onion, jalapeno, and tomato. I came up with this recipe after not finding one that incorporated all of the flavors that I love. I use a grill basket so I leave everything in large pieces. The recipe calls for fresh pineapple and mango but you can use frozen in a pinch. We love this recipe and hope that you will too.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple
- 1 1⁄2 cups mangoes
- 1⁄2 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper (seeded)
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Toss pineapple, mango, onion, tomatoes, garlic, and jalapenos with olive oil and salt.
- Put into a grill basket or on the grill.
- Cook on medium heat for two minutes on each side then remove from heat to cool.
- Finely mince garlic and jalapeno and roughly chop everything else.
- Mix all remaining ingredients with grilled ingredients and chill for an hour or two before serving if possible to let the flavors mingle.