This is a wonderful dessert, I love it with vanilla ice cream! Change the fruit to what is available or to what you prefer. I also like to make this in the winter with canned plums and then serve it with cinnamon ice cream. You can also finish the meringue under the grill. Standing time not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fruit (a mix of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, red currants or blueberries)
- 3 peaches
- 2 cups crumbled macaroons (approx) or 2 cups amaretti cookies (approx)
- 8 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (or icing sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- mint leaf (to garnish)
- 1Clean the fruits, remove the stone of the peaches and chop in cubes.
- 2Put all the fruit in an oven-proof dish.
- 3Top with the crumbled macaroons.
- 4Mix the orange juice with the lemon zest and sprinkle over the fruit and cookies and leave for about half an hour.
- 5Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 6Whisk the egg whites in a very clean bowl, when stiff add the sugar gradually with the vanilla essence, whisk untill glossy.
- 7Spread the egg whites on top of the fruit and cookie mixture, try to pattern it a bit.
- 8Bake for approx 10 minutes (keep an eye on it) until colored to your liking.
- 9Serve garnished with mint and a scoop of ice cream (optional).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.5
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 27.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of