Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a wonderful dessert, I love it with vanilla ice cream! Change the fruit to what is available or to what you prefer. I also like to make this in the winter with canned plums and then serve it with cinnamon ice cream. You can also finish the meringue under the grill. Standing time not included.
- 2 lbs fruit (a mix of strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, red currants or blueberries)
- 3 peaches
- 2 cups crumbled macaroons (approx) or 2 cups amaretti cookies (approx)
- 8 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (or icing sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- mint leaf (to garnish)
- Clean the fruits, remove the stone of the peaches and chop in cubes.
- Put all the fruit in an oven-proof dish.
- Top with the crumbled macaroons.
- Mix the orange juice with the lemon zest and sprinkle over the fruit and cookies and leave for about half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk the egg whites in a very clean bowl, when stiff add the sugar gradually with the vanilla essence, whisk untill glossy.
- Spread the egg whites on top of the fruit and cookie mixture, try to pattern it a bit.
- Bake for approx 10 minutes (keep an eye on it) until colored to your liking.
- Serve garnished with mint and a scoop of ice cream (optional).
Very nice dessert but it definately needs some sugar in with the chopped fruit. I would suggest to reduce the oven temp to 350 degrees, I had to cover the top up with foil as it browns very quickly. Thanks Pets!...Kitten