Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten until light
- 2 cups fruit cocktail-juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the first four ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add the egg, fruit cocktail, and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into an 8 x 12-inch buttered and floured cake pan.
- Mix the brown sugar, butter and walnuts together, then sprinkle over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Serve from the pan.
I remember this cake taken to picnics when I was a young girl. Oh, how marvelous, moist and gooey it was! I have made it many times since, but it always looked more like a white cake with fruit cocktail in it, not the gooey creation I remembered from those long ago picnics. So this time, I made the cake with brown sugar (you could also add 1 tsp of black strap molasses to white sugar), and it was the fruit cocktail cake I remembered. Yum! Thanks for sharing.