Recipe by ChefDLH
This recipe was from Family Circle Magazine Dec. 2009. It was considered to be a healthy recipe choice for those having parties with lots of food and drink. I made them for a meeting and they were a hit. I think you have to serve them with other things because despite being healthy they are a bit rich. I like them as a great alternative to the usual cheese ball. The nuts give it crunch and the two cheeses with the three fruits was very unique. This is not for someone who doesn't like cheese though. Perfect for the holidays, New Year's parties or anytime you need a no cook appetizer. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-calorie cheddar cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apple, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried pineapple, chopped (such as Sunsweet Philippine Pineapple)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- chop up the fruits and the nuts.
- Beat together cheddar cheese, cream cheese and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl until blended, about 1 minute.
- Stir in dried apple, apricot and pineapple with a wooden spoon. Using a tablespoon, form mixture into balls, then roll between palms. Coat balls in chopped nuts. Makes 18 (recipe can be doubled).