Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a nice addition to the Thanksgiving table. The ginger in this recipe gives it a nice zing. It is adapted from "100 Dynamite Desserts". Cooking time = freezing time & is approximate.
- 1 3⁄4 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 pint rich vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 cup canned pumpkin or 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Combine crust ingredients& press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Spread ice cream evenly over crust& freeze.
- Mix together pumpkin, sugar, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until smooth.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spread over ice cream layer& freeze.
- Remove from freezer 20 minutes before serving.
I was sure the preponderance of ginger would overwhelm my taste buds so I cut back on that but otherwise loved this as written. The addition of whipped cream to the ice cream seemed to allow the ice cream to melt more quickly but who cared; it's melted cream.