Frozen Peach Torte With Almond Crust
photo by glynn117
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1⁄3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons kirsch (clear cherry brandy)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 cup finely chopped pitted peeled peach
- 4 peaches, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coarsely chop nuts with brown sugar, flour and salt in processor.
- Add butter; process until nuts are finely chopped.
- Press half of mixture over bottom of 9-inch diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides.
- Press remaining half of mixture over bottom of 9-inch-diameter cake pan.
- Bake until crusts are golden, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to racks; cool completely.
- Break the crust in the cake pan into crumbs.
- Leave the one in the springform pan as is.
- Place 1 tablespoon water in small bowl.
- Sprinkle gelatin over; let stand until gelatin softens, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk yolks, sugar, kirsch and 3 tablespoons water in medium metal bowl until blended.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water; whisk constantly until mixture registers 160 degrees on candy thermometer, about 4 minutes.
- Remove bowl from over water.
- Add gelatin, then white chocolate and whisk until gelatin dissolves and chocolate melts.
- Let stand until mixture is cool but not set, whisking occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Beat cream in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold yolk mixture into cream.
- Spread 1/3 of mousse over crust in springform pan.
- Sprinkle half of chopped peaches over.
- Sprinkle half of crumbs over peaches.
- Drop 1/3 of mousse by tablespoonfuls over peaches, spacing evenly.
- Spread mousse carefully over, covering crumbs.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped peaches and crumbs.
- Carefully spread remaining mousse evenly over.
- Cover and freeze overnight.
- Can be made 3 days ahead, keep frozen.
- Mix peach slices and powdered sugar in medium bowl.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Using knife, cut around pan sides to loosen torte.
- Release pan sides; transfer torte to platter.
- Arrange peaches in concentric circles atop torte.
- Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes and serve.
- Option: Finely chop some peaches with the skin on, add some powdered sugar and press it around the circumference of the torte to give it a different look!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a self-taught home cook who reads cookbooks like a novel. Then I try out all different nationalities of recipes, especially the more complicated ones...I love a challenge! I entertain often and enjoy cooking for others more than for myself. If my friends and family are happy eating my cooking, then I'm ecstatic!