Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These rolls are so soft and buttery! I make them for most holiday gatherings and my family loves them. They are nice to make a bunch ahead of time and then just pull them out of the freezer!
- 2 cups milk, warmed (110-115 degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 9 cups bread flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- In a bowl, combine milk and yeast; stir until dissolved. In large bowl, cream the sugar, shortening and salt. Add eggs; mix well. Add half the flour; then add milk mixture, mixing until flour is moistened. Add remaining flour by hand. Let rest 15-20 minutes.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Divide dough into four parts. Roll each into a circle and brush with melted butter. Cut each circle into 16 wedges. Roll each piece into a crescent, starting at wide end. Place on baking sheet and freeze immediately.
- When frozen, place in plastic freezer bags and seal. Store in the freezer for up to 4 weeks. To bake, place on greased baking sheets and cover; let rise until doubled, about 3-4 hours. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes.