Frosting for my Soft Rolled Sugar Cookies posted in response to a request. I always seem to stir up more of this than is needed. It then invariably ends up spread between graham crackers as sweet little sandwich treats that kids love!
- Beat together butter, vanilla, 1 tablespoon cream, and a half cup powdered sugar; stir in a few drops food coloring - The color should be somewhat darker than desired, because it will lighten up as you add more cream and sugar to the frosting.
- Add alternating portions of 1-2 tablespoons cream then a half cup powdered sugar; beating after each addition until well blended.
- Continue adding and beating in portions of cream then powdered sugar until you have incorporated all the ingredients; stir in additional cream or powdered sugar if necessary.
- You may vary the amounts of cream and/or powdered sugar to achieve desired frosting amount and consistency - Your choice of a nice and thick frosting, a very thin glaze, or anything in between is possible.
- Spread finished frosting onto cooled sugar cookies; candy sprinkles are best added as each cookie is frosted - They seem to adhere better that way.
- NOTE: Regular or evaporated milk, whipping cream, whipped cream, or even sour cream - whatever you've got in the fridge - may be substituted (I've subbed in each of these at times) for the half & half.
Perfect frosting! Quick to make in the mixer, and pretty easy to put on without dripping and it smooths out any lumps or booboos really nicely. We left it white and used colored sugar for Christmas cookies. Tastes much better than the squeeze kind from the grocery.
This is a great recipe for frosting! I did lose track of how much cream I was adding because I kept pouring in more to mix it to a creamy consistency(so be sure you have plenty of cream). I divided my frosting up into different bowls after I finished mixing and added the food coloring then. Had a good time decorating cookies with this, thanks for the recipe!
Great recipe! I love that you can make just what you need. I found that using a 1/2 teaspoon worked really well to spread the frosting on the cookies. I used half-and-half and added the food coloring at the end. Fantastic looking and shinny. Thanks!