Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My mom makes this usually at Easter time. I love it. From her Gooseberry Patch Hometown Favorites Cookbook. Best if started the night before you want to serve.
Top Review by Heather'sKitchen
We make this at Easter too! I'm glad you've posted this recipe. It's not always on the box of ancini pasta. Now I won't lose it and have to call my MIL for hers. It is a wonderful sweet salad. I don't like it as well with chunks of pineapple so I always use 40oz of crushed pineapple. Thanks!-HK
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 1 3/4 cup juice)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lb acini-de-pepe pasta, cooked
- 1 (20 ounce) can chunk pineapple, drained
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) carton Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the sugar, flour, salt, eggs, and 1 3/4 cup reserved pineapple juice to a saucepan; cook over medium heat and stir constantly until thickened.
- Add in lemon juice; stir to combine.
- Take pan off of burner and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the sauce and cooked pasta in a mixing bowl; refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, add in the pineapple (crushed and chunks), oranges, marshmallows, and Cool Whip; mix gently to combine.