Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom makes this usually at Easter time. I love it. From her Gooseberry Patch Hometown Favorites Cookbook. Best if started the night before you want to serve.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 1 3/4 cup juice)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lb acini-de-pepe pasta, cooked
- 1 (20 ounce) can chunk pineapple, drained
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) carton Cool Whip
- Add the sugar, flour, salt, eggs, and 1 3/4 cup reserved pineapple juice to a saucepan; cook over medium heat and stir constantly until thickened.
- Add in lemon juice; stir to combine.
- Take pan off of burner and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the sauce and cooked pasta in a mixing bowl; refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, add in the pineapple (crushed and chunks), oranges, marshmallows, and Cool Whip; mix gently to combine.
We make this at Easter too! I'm glad you've posted this recipe. It's not always on the box of ancini pasta. Now I won't lose it and have to call my MIL for hers. It is a wonderful sweet salad. I don't like it as well with chunks of pineapple so I always use 40oz of crushed pineapple. Thanks!-HK