Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The first time we had these, it was at Hooters (LOL). We now order them every time we see them on a menu!
- Place enough peanut oil in a 4 to 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven to come halfway up the side of the pot.
- Place over medium-high heat and bring to 390-400°F
- Remove the pickles from their brine and cut lengthwise into quarters, like spears. Lay the spears on a sheet pan lined with paper towels and pat them dry.
- Place the buttermilk in 1 shallow dish and mix together the cornmeal, salt and cayenne (if you prefer) in a separate dish.
- Dip each pickle, 1 at a time, first into the buttermilk, then into the cornmeal and then repeat.
- Carefully place each spear into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes.
- You can fry 3 to 4 pickles in the pot at a time.
- Adjust the heat, if necessary, in order to maintain a constant temperature of 390-400°F
- Transfer the pickles to a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating. Season with additional salt, if desired.
I had these Sunday for a small get together and they were a bit salty. So I would tweek it by less salt and a little more cayenne pepper. But over all not too bad. Severale people liked them as well.