katie in the UP's Note:
The first time we had these, it was at Hooters (LOL). We now order them every time we see them on a menu!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place enough peanut oil in a 4 to 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven to come halfway up the side of the pot.
- 2Place over medium-high heat and bring to 390-400°F
- 3Remove the pickles from their brine and cut lengthwise into quarters, like spears. Lay the spears on a sheet pan lined with paper towels and pat them dry.
- 4Place the buttermilk in 1 shallow dish and mix together the cornmeal, salt and cayenne (if you prefer) in a separate dish.
- 5Dip each pickle, 1 at a time, first into the buttermilk, then into the cornmeal and then repeat.
- 6Carefully place each spear into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes.
- 7You can fry 3 to 4 pickles in the pot at a time.
- 8Adjust the heat, if necessary, in order to maintain a constant temperature of 390-400°F
- 9Transfer the pickles to a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating. Season with additional salt, if desired.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Pickles
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 1831.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g